Jan 27th, 2013 by Conor McCabe
This is very brief - really just to get it noted before I forget to do so. We had a good workshop last week. We all presented a bit of research we had done into women and the workforce in Ireland. Moving on, we took to look at five areas for the next meeting:
1. The ‘inactive’ 28 per cent. Basically, to look at breaking this down and get a clearer understanding of what official stats mean by housewives as ‘inactive’.
2. Feminization of Labour. The move towards a low-paid, casual workforce. The current treatment of women in the workforce is the future of labour.
3. Jobsbridge / Always Be Ready. The move to treat the workforce as independent contractors. The use of the language of entrepreneur for casual/no benefits/ no rights. Also, the idea that it is the role of the employed to ‘nurture’ the job, to act as a mother to the job.
4. Secondary Source Material That’s worthwhile. Names/organisations that came up were were: NERI ; Ursula Barry and Pauline Conroy ; UCD Equality Studies.
5. Hidden Economy Monitoring Group.
I’ll try to get more written next time.